Lesson 10 – Working with SAP ABAP Editor
In SAP ABAP, all programs will be written in ABAP editor. (In previous lesson of transaction codes, I have shown you the view of transaction code SE38.)
Below is the screenshot of SAP ABAP editor (t-code SE38)
In order to develop custom program in SAP ABAP, its name should starts with ‘Z’ or ‘Y’. SAP has reserved all other starting alphabets for its standard developments.
Steps to create a custom program in SE38-
- Enter program name starts with ‘Z’ or ‘Y’. (For practice start the program name with Z followed by your name initials. Ex. ZRV if you name is ‘Ravi Verma’ because next time it is easy to recall the list of all programs just by putting the initials.)
- Click on ‘Create’ button.
- Give the title = any meaningful description.
- Give the type = ‘Executable Program’.
- Click on SAVE button.
- On next screen, click on LOCAL button, it will save program in LOCAL MEMORY. Or select package if you know the package name to save in memory.
Package is nothing just a container of developments or objects to transport the developments from development to production server. Many companies follow 3 servers policy i.e. Development, Quality & Production (LIVE) servers.
Once you done with the coding, do PRETTY PRINTER. It will automatically format the program according to the set pattern.
Important Keyboard Shortcuts :
SAVE : Ctrl + S
PRETTY PRINTER : Shift + F1
CHECK : Ctrl + F2 (syntax check)
ACTIVATE : Ctrl + F3 (activating code)
EXECUTE : F8
Display mode <===> Change mode (Ctrl + F1) (i.e.vice versa)
While activating the program, system will point a window to ENTER.
After checking, activating and executing the program, to navigate we use below keyboard shortcuts.
BACK : F3
EXIT : Shift + F3
CANCEL : F12
In real time, it is recommended to activate and put program in ‘DISPLAY’ mode before executing it through F8.
Program Status : ACTIVE / INACTIVE.
ACTIVE Program :
Active program is the status of program after saving and activating the program. If the program is not active, we have to activate it before executing the program.
INACTIVE Program :
A program becomes inactive when it is changed and just saved or syntax checked. Always activate the program after setting a complete block of code lines.
Note : It is the best practice to SAVE (Ctrl + S), PRETTY PRINT ( Shift + F1) , SYNTAX CHECK (Ctrl + F2) & ACTIVATE (Ctrl + F2) the code after writing a complete block of code lines.